Letter Jackets for the Yellow Jacket Bands
As a reward for efforts in the Yellow Jacket Band, the directors award letter jackets based on the following criteria:
A student must earn 36 points to receive a jacket. Points will accumulate every year towards earning a jacket. Points will be awarded for the following:
5 pts. – Membership in the Yellow Jacket Marching band (per semester)
5 pts. – Membership in one of the YJB concert bands (per semester)
1 pts. – Full eligibility for one semester (all classes)
1 pt. – Marching band advancing to Area Marching
1 pt. – Marching band advancing to Area Finals
3 pts. – ATSSB Region Band /Jazz membership
2 pts. – ATSSB Area Band membership
2 pts. – Participation in Winter Guard
1 pts. – Participation in Jazz Ensemble
2 pts. –1st Division on Class One Solo at Region UIL Solo/Ensemble
2 pts. –1st Division on Class One Ensemble at Region UIL Solo/Ensemble
5pts. –1st Division on either solo or ensemble at TSSEC
30 pts –TMEA All-state Band membership
- Senior jackets will be awarded early each fall, and all other jackets will be awarded each spring.
- All appeals to lettering decisions, and all special circumstances, will be heard and dealt with on a case-by-case basis by the directors and the principal.
UIL Rules regarding Letter Jackets
The UIL Constitution and Contest Rules allow these awards as stated in the following section: Section 480: LIMITATION OF AWARDS LIMIT
- Awards Schools May Give. A participant school or member school district may give an award not to exceed $60 in value to a student during that student’s high school enrollment at the same school for participation in UIL interschool competition(s) listed in Section 380. Each year a participant school or member school district may give one additional award per student per interschool activity listed in Section 380, not to exceed $10.00 each. Schools shall not give the same student both the major and minor awards for the same activity during the same school year.
- Awards Students May Receive. A student may not accept from any source other than the school attended or the school district, any award in money, product, or service for competing in an interschool contest except as follows:
- A certificate, medal,trophy or other symbolic award for participating in any UIL activity which counts on League standing, if it is given by the school, school district, the district executive committee, or the entity that organized the competition (i.e., the regional director, zone director, etc.).
- A certificate for participating in any UIL activity, if it is given by the participant school, school district, or district executive committee.
- A certificate for participating in a UIL contest at the state level, if it is given by the UIL or one of the professional education organizations sanctioned by the UIL.
- A medal, trophy, patch, or other symbolic award for participating in an invitational athletic contest which does not count on League standing, in an activity which the UIL sponsors as listed in Section 380, if it is given by the organization conducting the contest or competition. (Sports which are not sanctioned by the UIL, such as bowling, motorcycle racing, rodeo, etc., do not come under this rule.)
- Unlimited awards for participating in an invitational academic, or fine arts contest which does not count on League standing, whether or not it is an activity which the League sponsors.
- Educational trips sponsored by the school.
- Scholarships for college or university enrollment if awarded at or after graduation from high school.3.Awards Students May Receive for Intraschool Competition. A student may accept unlimited awards for participating in Intraschool competition. See Official Interpretation #7, Appendix 1.